Thursday, July 28, 2011

Karl



















Today did not go as I planned.

I let myself into my friend's house so I could get Karl up. I sat with him while he ate his breakfast and then waited for him as he got dressed. I was worried I would scare him but he just sat straight up in bed when I lightly tapped his foot, fully alert.

As I was driving Karl to my friend's office we talked about the episode of The Price is Right that we had just watched while he was eating breakfast.

Karl: How is that man going to get everything he won home?

Me: I'm sure they have a truck and will deliver it.

Karl: That man can't get all that stuff home by himself. I bet they have a truck and will deliver it.

Me: Yup

Karl: That's a lot of stuff. He's going to have to pay Uncle Sam 25%.

The conversation was repeated many times with a few variations.

Karl: I'm going to the zoo tomorrow.

Me: You are? What is your favorite animal?

Karl: Giraffe I think. If I see a Gorilla or a rattle snake I'm not going to touch them. They are dangerous. They might bite me.

Me: That's probably a good idea.

I went back to the house with Karl and my friend and there were several shootings last night being covered on the news.

Karl: I had to turn off the TV. People have been shot and killed. It makes me feel sick in my belly. I can't go out after dark. I have to save my skin. It will save my life. I am smart.

He then went to see if he could find something else to watch...

Karl: I had to turn off the TV. It's the Soaps. I don't like that kissy kissy stuff.

My husband and I will be seeing Karl tomorrow night. At his birthday party. He will be 58.

I'm glad that I changed my plans this morning so that I could help my friend. Like the flower in the picture above... Karl is different and... Karl is beautiful.

2 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

Happy Birthday to Carl. I'm so glad he had you as one of his friends.

noexcuses said...

And what a great friend you are! Hope Carl has a great birthday celebration.

God Bless you!