Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Pause Button

Boy oh boy...
.

I've got a lot I need to get done today! The day did not start off well either.
.

I started to say there is nothing worse than waking up to a dirty kitchen and caught myself. One of the side effects of my trip to Africa is being taken back by some of my attitudes, thoughts and sayings.
.

It's as if someone hits the pause button and I stop to consider what I've just thought or said.

I am feeling overwhelmed this morning by everything I need to accomplish and the fact that I seriously do not have the time to put any of it off to another day. Our schedule is pretty much jam packed this month.
.

There is a lot worse than being stressed due to a busy schedule and mundane tasks...
.

Guilt is a quiet but vicious beast.
.

I'm not going to give in and beat myself up. I've spent too much time wallowing on the self-pity train. Yes, self-pity. I've felt sorry for myself because I can't change the world. I've felt sorry for myself because I've squandered opportunities. I've felt sorry for myself because we've got ourselves locked into our own little world and have our hands tied in many ways. Guilt, in my case, only paralyzes me.
.

So what can I do? The answer I've come up with is to fully engage in this life I've been given. Today that means I need to do laundry, wash dishes, dust, vacuum and iron. It isn't exciting stuff but I am thankful that I can do it.

7 comments:

Dusty Mommah said...

I hear yah. That "Pause" Button does wonders. Sometimes I wish there was Backspace button, too...

Be blessed as you go about your DMHC (Doing Mundane Household Chores) Ministry :-)

Laura~peach~ said...

true enough :)

Oklahoma Granny said...

In reading your post you inspired me to look at things with a new perspective like there wouldn't be so much laundry to do if I only had one outfit to wear. I am blessed. There wouldn't be dishes to wash if I didn't have food to eat. I am blessed. I wouldn't have to dust if I didn't have a house that is furnished quite nicely. I am blessed. Now I've got to get off here and get busy too! Have a glorious day.

Bluebird49 said...

You're very inspiring! I know we have so much--too much--and we've become so used to having it. Then we complain of having to "deal" with it, don't we? I know I do! The mundane things--you said it right! Oh--how wonderful it would be for so many people to have ONE of those mundane things we have!

Changes in perspective are good---they don't change the mundane, but they get us to thinking, don't they! This is an especially good time of the year to be thankful for all our mundane things we take for granted, I know. It doesn't necessarily make it EASY---but it's there-staring me in the face.

Chris H said...

'snap'... we are both doing the same thing today! Housework. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Paula said...

I LOVE this post! It's so deep and full of truth..."Guilt is a quiet but vicious beast." is so true. I recently read that guilt is a form of self mutilation. That'll make ya think. Good for you snapping out of it and teaching us to do the same. (((hugs)))

Angela said...

Yes, self-pity. I've felt sorry for myself because I can't change the world. I've felt sorry for myself because I've squandered opportunities. I've felt sorry for myself because we've got ourselves locked into our own little world and have our hands tied in many ways. Guilt, in my case, only paralyzes me.


those words have been mine also...Loved the end part girl...great post.