Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Whispers in the Dark, Post 5

Written Saturday, September 18, 2010

I’m the first of the team to arrive at our gate for the flight to Johannesburg. In fact, it will be awhile before anyone gets here. I thought I was going to be able to sit in a Starbucks or a bar and connect to the Internet, edit posts I’d already written, and get them scheduled. Nope.

I then went to one of those kiosks and was going to do it from there but after I swiped my DEBIT card it just kept ticking away the money while refusing to do anything. I called Mr. Macchiato in a panic because I was afraid it was going to drain our checking account. Don’t ask me why I used the debit card. That was just dumb. I blame it on sleep deprivation. Anyway, he got it taken care of right away and while he was doing that I got it to shut down. Whew! I won’t try that again!

I then got my Sweetie to post what I’d written for me unedited… I was planning to go through and add links and titles (now done). So much for my plans of having a post every day while I’m gone! I am still going to try but I have a feeling that may not be possible once I am in Africa. (I can in Johannesburg! Don't know how it will go in Swaziland.)

On Thursday night our team leader’s father died suddenly. He was only 57 years old. I cannot even imagine what Danielle and Mike are going through. They made the decision to go ahead with the trip as planned but I know it is going to be very difficult for them at times. My heart aches for Danielle.

It is situations like this that get me sometimes. Why?

I’ve been thinking about Ecclesiastes for a long time now.

I haven’t written on my political blog in months. Prior to the 2008 elections I had a fire in my belly that sent me on a mission to educate first myself and then possibly others. I was most interested in reaching other housewives that were uninterested in politics and didn’t really see how what goes on in Washington and our state governments really does affect our everyday lives. I was very interested in what I was doing at the time. And then it changed.

I still believe that we should be aware of what is going on politically in order to protect our freedoms. In the scope of history women haven’t even had the right to vote all that long. One day it hit me… by being so focused on the politics of it I was missing the heart of it. I believe there are those that are called to a deeper involvement in governmental workings. I’m not one of them. The answers to our problems, our real problems, will never come through our government. We can’t fix things solely through laws. We can’t take our personal convictions and expect that laws made mirroring them will change those who don’t hold those convictions.

At the same time, we can’t have a societal freefall into a system that allows anything and everything. Where are the lines? Who draws the lines? As long as there are people in this world they will never agree on what is right and what is wrong. So we have people that serve on the front lines that fight it out for us. Battles rage and wars are won and lost.

The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
“Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.”
What profit has a man from all his labor in which he toils under the sun?
One generation passes away and another generation comes; “But the earth abides forever,
The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it arose.
“The wind goes toward the south, and turns around to the north; the wind whirls about continually, and comes again on its circuit.
“All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full; to the place from which the rivers come, there they return again.
All things are full of labor; man cannot express it. “The eye is not satisfied with seeing. Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which has been will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which it may be said, “See, this is new”? It has already been in ancient times before us.
There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of things that are to come by those who will come after.”
Ecclesiastes 1:1-11

I don’t know. I guess I’ve just come to see my zeroed in focus on politics as being a distraction from where my focus really needs to be. That is not to say in any way that I think that Christians ought not be involved in our government and that we citizens should not be aware. There are laws worth fighting for and/or against. I just don't see our salvation as a country coming through our judicial system.

Sigh…

A time to be born, and a time to die…
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance…

I’m thinking a lot about Danielle and how the distance between these verses will most likely be shortened over the next 11 days. I imagine she’ll be cycling through these emotions over and over in the course of each day. Mike will be too given they’ve been married 15 years and I’m sure he also loved his father-in-law.

As I sit here waiting I am filled with excitement to be seeing Jim, Elysa and Anna. Oh my gosh they are HERE!!!

To be continued...

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I just read through your 5 recent posts. I don't know you except through your blogs, I think of you as a friend I haven't had the pleasure to meet yet. You are loving, courageous, honest, funny, and 'real', I admire that you are willing to share the hurts, questions and doubts that plague all of us in some manner or another. My prayers include you. Hugs!

Deborah said...

Looking forward to reading your next posts.....

Karen Deborah said...

move on soldier the fight is the hottest when your on the front lines.

Melody said...

I just read all of your posts from #2 on. What an incredible roller coaster ride you are on! :) I'll be praying for you: that you will know the things to say and the things to do that will bring peace and joy to those around you and to yourself.

**mArC** The Schifan o Tribe said...

Awesome gift you have. Loved being in Swaziland with you. Jan loved talking to you.