Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Journey



a
Written September 19, 2010
a
The flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa was brutal. My seat was in the middle of the middle aisle. At 5’11” my knees were up against the seat in front of me the entire 15 ½ hour flight. I also had to stow my laptop, jacket and fanny pack under the seat which left no room for my size 11 feet… especially after I took my shoes off and had them rolling around down there too. I feel like a giant. I tower over everyone on our team.
a
My seat mates were great. They were both photographers. The man to my right was American and going to South Africa for a photo safari with his brother. He’s been to Africa 4 times and loves it. The sweet girl to my left was an Afrikaaner (white South African) and a photographer on a cruise ship based out of Boston. She was on her way home on holiday.
a
The airport terminal was a bit of a trip for me. AC/DC was playing over the speakers and it was all very modern. The names of the restaurants were different, well, except for Kentucky Fried Chicken. We ate dinner in the food court and by the time we got out of there it was dark. I ate a hamburger.
a
We were met by a man named Marius. He is an Afrikaaner who is married to an American and they live in Swaziland and are part of AIM (Adventures in Missions who partners with Children’s Hope Chest). Our driver’s name is Elliot and I don’t know much about him yet.
a
We are meeting in the hotel lobby at 7:30 am and leaving by 8:00 am. Marius said we will drive for a bit over an hour and then stop at a mall for breakfast. We will be travelling today and going through a debriefing session. I imagine we will be going through all our bags and getting our stuff organized to take to the carepoint. We’ve got backpacks to fill and the amount of stuff we all brought is mind boggling.
a
To be continued...

4 comments:

paul mitchell said...

Oh, I am so excited to hear about this. And I am glad you made it back safely.

jojo said...

glad to have you home, can't wait to hear more. My daughter is 5'11" too..she hates travelling!

Oklahoma Granny said...

What a start to a great adventure. Can't wait to read more.

Karen Deborah said...

sounds like it's going to be great!