Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Counting Down...

Thirty-two days until I leave for Africa...

Elysa purchased our plane tickets yesterday. She was on the phone and computer for hours! I feel so strange having everything taken care of for me. All I had to do was get my passport and fill out some paperwork...

Elysa posted a short little video of some children playing in the dirt on facebook. I also posted it on my page. I think I watched it 30 times. I would post here but can't figure out how. It is just a bunch of noisy, happy kids. I once heard a woman from Ghana speak at our church and she said something so profound I have never forgotten it. She said that a mother's grief is the same in every language. Watching that video I realized that a child's innocent laughter is the same in any language as well. They don't know the full of extent of their circumstances and to see that kind of joy displayed is wondrous.

I've been struggling with the fact that I'm only going to be there 11 days. I wonder what good that could possibly do. Isn't it hard on the children to have people come and go like that? There are missionaries that live there and those that go short term provide help... but the cost per person for such a short stay is so high. My father asked me if it wouldn't be better to just send the money that would have been spent on airfare to the ministry.

And I watched the video again...

When I was a little girl a bus went through our neighborhood to pick up children and take them to Sunday School. I don't remember what my Sunday School teacher looked like or her name. Yet, I very much remember her. I didn't like "Little Church" so she let me go to "Big Church" with her. I would sit there and listen while I played with the little cross that hung from the zipper on my white bible with the gold letters. Sometimes she put her arm around me and hugged me while we sat there. My parents were separated for 11 months when I was 7/8 so I was a sad girl.

During that same time there was an old widow with a weeping willow tree in her front yard. She made burnt Jiffy Pop popcorn and played the board game Sorry with me and some other kids in the neighborhood. Her hugs were the best.

I also don't remember my third grade teacher's name or what she looked like. I do remember her letting me stay with her during recess and her holding my hand and how she would gently pat my head whenever she passed by my desk.

I am hoping to be what these women were for me for a child or more in Africa. You never know what events sear their impressions into the memory of a child or how meaningful a touch can be to a child that is hurting. Sitting here with these memories of my own I am reminded of that. Who I am and whether they remember me or not is not what matters here.

6 comments:

Flea said...

Hoorah! I'll pray for you, CB. It's going to be what God wants it to be.

Melody said...

I think that people can make a lot more difference than money. To make someone feel loved, or for us to feel loved ourselves, is simply priceless.

claudia said...

I have a feeling that you are going to do a world of good in those 11 days, my dear.

Angela said...

That was beautiful Coffee the memories that you have shared.....it's like the Holy Spirit touched your heart and said..'remember this? remember that? 11 days CAN have an impact on a child precious one!'

((hugs))

Trisha said...

There is no doubt in my mind that you WILL make an impact even though you will only be there 11 days.

Oklahoma Granny said...

I'm so excited for you. You're going to have an amazing time and will come home greatly blessed.

On another note, I read a blog by Sherry called 'Country Wings In Phoenix'. Several months ago she had a terrible bout with pneumonia. Now she has all but lost her voice and the doctor has told her that's the way things are. I suggested she stop by your blog. Although her problem might not be the same as your Spasmodic Dysphoma, I thought you might be able to offer her some words of wisdom. She had a very bad day yesterday or the day before when she overhead someone at her work trying to imitate her talking. So sad, the insensitivity of people. Anyway, I hope you don't mind me suggesting she stop by your blog. I did tell her you're preparing for a mission trip so she knows you're very busy right now.

Blessings to you. I'm praying for you, your fellow missionaries and the trip you're soon to take.