Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hmmmm...

I'm a bit frustrated...

For me and the people that know me... the quality of my voice is a miracle. I can talk on the phone. I can order from drive thru's. I can say things to people that aren't even in the same room I'm in. It is such a blessing! My voice is still a bit raspy and I don't have a lot of volume. Even before SD I never had what I would call a loud voice...

I'm a bit taken back by how new people are responding to me and my voice. Well... and even some people that do know me. Some have even been so blunt as to tell me that I sound like crap. I'm not whining here or feeling sorry for myself at all. I know full well what I have been through and I will take this voice and be happy with it over what I've had to deal with the last several years. More than happy actually. I've regained some independence that I lost. Just being able to pick up the phone and make a call by myself to ask someone a question or to make an appointment is HUGE! I'm just making some observations.

I guess I got used to being told I sound bad whenever I went out. I didn't think that I did but I must have become somewhat desensitized to it without realizing it. I sound so much better now that I find it shocking when someone feels the need to tell me I sound bad. The majority of people that say things to me are not trying to be rude... they just don't know. One of the things I was looking forward to most about my ability to speak and be understood was that I thought I would no longer have to explain what is wrong with me. Sigh...

And really... don't feel sorry for me or think that I am upset. I'm not. I'm just sharing this because it is part of my SD story. I am quite happy that I can talk regardless of other's opinions as to how I sound.

12 comments:

Angela said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... got me thinkin too sis about those remarks. I didn't think you sounded bad. I am still in awe that I could FINALLY hear your lovely voice.

I'm thinkin about my brother and our conversation I had with him last week, 'cripe Peter, you sound like crap'...he sounded terrible on the phone, sick. He said he wasn't and I still haven't figured out how acid reflex could make him sound so sick.

I wonder if people say that about you thinking that? Got me ,hmmmmmm..thinkin...Than I think are they insensitive as I was to my brother....

I think it is good for you to share like that because you are telling your story, and it's not really just your story but others who have to deal with this also with a disease that MANY have never heard of before..

((hugs))

jojo said...

well, I think you sound freakin' fantastic..;p

Rusty's Mom said...

The next time someone says you sound bad say "Thank you". Let them figure it out. E

Karen Deborah said...

You know people are just dumb in general. We tell people they are too skinny, too fat and don't sound right--so what's normal anyway? Not me!

My word verification says "inane" how app-pro-po

Laura ~Peach~ said...

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......hugs :D

Trisha said...

I have been in your shoes. You work hard and go through a lot to get your voice to where it is and you are proud of it. You are happy that you can once more join the rest of the world in vocalizing. It is truly a miracle.

And then thoughtless people burst your happiness balloon.

Well, I say the "heck" with them. You can always set these people off center by replying with something like "Thank you for the compliment on all my hard work to have a voice at all."

Keep strong!

Flea said...

You make your kid laugh. Nothing else matters, right?

Chris H said...

Anyone who says you sound like crap needs a good kick up the bum!
As long as you can talk and be understood is what matters! Pfffffft.

Chris said...

I never really had a problem hearing you before. Always thought you sounded just fine =)

claudia said...

I just smile everytime I think about your ability to speak! The video you made for us to hear you sounded really good to me. I would think that people who know your past would be more sensitive and the people who don't know your past have no business telling how you sound anyway!

Gladys said...

Just tell them that you are trying out for a 1-900 sexline job. :)

I had laryngitis for 6 months one time and that was my story. It went over like a lead balloon at church though ;)

Rick said...

I was wondering if the voice was keeping up. It's good to hear - or rather, read.