Monday, January 18, 2010

Walk with Me

We left right after church yesterday to go on a hike. It started from a parking lot along the highway...

Most of the snow has melted leaving the landscape in a wintry pallor...

When you get down into the trees there is some lingering snow and ice. In fact, much of the trail in these areas was frozen over...


I am looking forward to returning to the places we've hiked this winter in the summer. I'm really interested to see the difference...

There were a lot of people on the trail at certain points. Even though I go hiking with family and friends one of my favorite things about hiking is those stretches when I'm all alone and it is quiet...

I think we are supposed to be getting more snow later this week...

I think about all sorts of things while I am hiking...


On this hike it was about the paths my life has taken... and the different paths of others' lives...
.
The conditions of the path were constantly changing... much like how our lives constantly change...


Sometimes life is messy and you have to walk through some mud...



Sometimes you have to keep your head down and concentrate on just putting one foot in front of the other so you don't stumble...

Sometimes the path is easy...

And you can take the time to really look at the world around you...
Sometimes you can hold your head up, look off into the distance and contemplate the bigger picture...


And sometimes you can look back at roads you've already taken...


One thing is for certain... life is not always easy.
.
It struck me as I was looking down at the highway on our way back to the parking lot... We have always loved being in the mountains. It used to be that we would get in our car and drive that highway. We would enjoy the scenery from inside the car while we snacked and listened to music. We would stop and stretch at a Starbucks or a restaurant...
.
I'm glad we are changing that.

9 comments:

MUD said...

Kind of like life. You can ride along going from Coffee House to Coffee House or you can take the path where you walk watching the path and the scenery. We still have snow on the ground from before Christmas.
MUD

Melody said...

Very true insights. I'm going to mull these over for myself today. Thanks> <3

Oklahoma Granny said...

As I was reading your post I was nodding in agreement all the way. Great post!

Deborah said...

My kind of post...I love pictures of pathways and the analogy to life. Yup, it's a journey...and wouldn't it be great to always be on the mountain!

MaBunny said...

what beautiful pictures - and you are very lucky to be surrounded by that kind of natural beauty. One of these days I will make it to CO!!!

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

Incredible post! Thanks!

claudia said...

Great post! Thank you!

Rustys Mom said...

What a beautiful post.

Thank you so much.

Gladys said...

Oh that was lovely!

I like to walk but if you tell me I'm hiking I will lie down in the middle of the trail and swear I can not hike. :) Perception is a terrible thing to waste.