Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lost in Thought

My goodness...

It's hard to even put into words where I am at the moment.

What is really important in this life?

I host a bible study in my home on Wednesday mornings. A lady from church came yesterday that had not come before. She actually lives in our neighborhood. While we were going around the room telling a bit about ourselves she got very emotional when it was her turn. We asked her if she would like someone else to talk while she composed herself. When we got back to her she told us she'd just been diagnosed with breast cancer...

Life is hard.

I haven't been watching all the stuff on tv about Haiti. My mind is there though. I just know from past experience that if I sit in front of the tv watching all of those images that it will swallow me. There is so much pain in this world... so much suffering.

I want to DO SOMETHING.

When? Where? How?

I am pulled in so many different directions. I allow myself to be distracted in so many ways. You know that saying, "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" ? I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Not just in terms of myself... in terms of other people as well... in terms of the body of Christ. How many of us try to be all things to all people?

Focus... I need to focus. I need to keep the big picture in mind and then zoom in.

I know this post is pretty vague. It is just where my mind is today.

Now, I need to run around like a chicken with my head cut off to get the house ready to have our carpets cleaned this afternoon. Oy.

6 comments:

Rustys Mom said...

One of the reasons I enjoy your blog so much is you help remind me what's important. Thank you. E

paul mitchell said...

Why would say this is vague? Seems very succinct and to the point for me. I empathize, too.

Oklahoma Granny said...

I totally understood everything you said in this post and didn't think it was vague at all.

Karen Deborah said...

Yeah a lot of stuff makes everyone feel overwhelmed. This was a great post CB you said it like it is for a bunch of us.

noexcuses said...

It's good to think out loud sometimes. It can help you focus, reinforce ideas and act as a great "to do" list.

I miss the days of my mom's group. I would fill myself up with the holy spirit when I attended meetings, and was good to go until the next week!

I have to do my carpets, too!

Chris H said...

I know it is very hard to feel 'useful' in the face of such a disaster like in Haiti... so we just have to do all we can to be good, kind people to those around us.
I am going to be volunteering at the local Hosice this year, as my contribution to the community.

Did you know that to smile at complete strangers, and to say 'Hi' is sometimes all that is necessary to make their day? I like to think so, and do it all the time.