Sunday, January 3, 2010

The First Monday of 2010

So, how many of you have already bailed on some of your resolutions? LOL! Being more of an optimist morning type person, I have always loved Mondays. To me it has always been a fresh start. I cannot tell you how many times I've said the words, "on Monday..." Funny thing is, I don't think it was a Monday when the change finally came.

If you already feel like a New Year's failure... DON'T.

I'm no longer looking toward a certain date or a certain day to make the difference. I am trying my best to walk away from my all or nothing mentality. What I'm looking for is balance. I've never had it.

This is the first time in my life that I've lost weight without being extremely regimented. I didn't pay a bunch of money to follow a program. I didn't write out lists. I didn't write everything down. When I ate more than I should I didn't throw in the towel for the rest of the day or until the next Monday.

I've learned a lot watching Mr. Macchiato. He's never dieted. He did eliminate some things and has gotten very active. He no longer drinks soda. He stopped snacking and watching tv all evening. He started eating breakfast. He eats more whole grains. At the same time he still indulges from time to time. No lists. No writing everything down. No freaking out over what he's going to eat if we go somewhere. No counting calories or carbs.

I'm joining a 12 week fitness challenge at our gym tomorrow that starts later this week. I am really excited about it. In July I could hardly stay on the eliptical for 30 minutes with the resistance set on level one. Today I spent an hour on level 18. I am going to climb mountains this summer with my husband.

I'm not even worried about the pre-diabetes anymore. Initially, I was thinking that I needed to write everything down and space my meals perfectly but... I'm not going to. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. My blood work at the end of the 12 weeks will reveal whether I need to do that or not. My fasting blood sugar the last several mornings has been in normal range.

I'm going to start writing again. I've got a book to finish and articles I want to write for my Uneducated blog. No more dreaming... thinking... planning... procrastinating. It is time to JUST DO IT!!!

I know you can do whatever you want to do too!

9 comments:

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

You GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!You have inspired me, now hopin I will just "do it".

Just Me said...

Well, it sounds like you're going to have a successful 2010. And if it isn't what you'd call "successful," it seems like you'll enjoy it anyway.

Good for you!

Oklahoma Granny said...

I like the way you think. Thanks for the inspiration!

Melody said...

Thanks for the pep talk! I needed that.

And good luck with everything! It sounds like you are on the right track. :)

paul mitchell said...

This is a little too ambitious for my tastes. My resolution is to make sure that I get out of bed every day this year. Oh, and no nekkid photos of men on my blog for the fifth year running.

Debra W said...

I was so pleased by your recent visit to my blog! I hope that life is going well and that your family is doing great.

Happy New Year! May 2010 be a healthy, happy, love-filled year for you and your family.

Love,
Deb

Chris H said...

What a lovely post. All the best with the new lifestyle.

MUD said...

The really good news is that you can buy really good frozen vegies and cook them in the microwave. I really like the medley's that have a lot of different things in them. There are soups now that have less than 100 calories. Enjoy life and don't worry about the details. MUD

Kathy said...

you make me smile!