Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Out with the Old...

I've been busy... I'm not taking the Christmas stuff down until the 4th but I have been going through drawers and closets. I've got a carload to drop off at the Salvation Army today.

I've been watching a show called "Hoarders" when I'm on the eliptical at the gym. My friend that killed herself last year was a hoarder. The problem is so much more complicated than someone being lazy. Lisa spent a lot of time shopping and stockpiling things. She had plans for everything she bought but could never seem to get from the planning to the doing. I helped her get her house in order but I know she went back to the hoarding and the squalor.

I have never lived anywhere as long as I have lived in this house. I think I've got wanderlust in my blood. On the one hand I really envy those that live in the same area all their lives and have deep roots. On the other... how the heck do you keep everything organized and under control? When you move every couple of years you are forced to deal with all the junk you accumulate. We still have a large number of boxes that we've just shifted from location to location... I can't imagine what we'd have otherwise.

Do y'all do a New Year's purge of your house?

4 comments:

Melody said...

I've been trying to figure out how to store what I've got in organized and good looking ways and I came across the book "Clutter Cutters: Store it with Style". I love it! So in addition to giving and throwing away I'll be "storing with style"! ;)

Oklahoma Granny said...

We did a huge purge last year when we moved. It was very hard for me because I got rid of some things I really didn't want to. But I did it. Since then I really think about a purchase before I make it - do we really need it, will it really add value in our lives, etc.

claudia said...

I have already started purging. I don't know how much I will actually get done, but I did sit at my desk Tuesday night and threw out all the receipts for the utility bills. I know I paid them, the utility companies knwo I paid them, why am I keeping them?
I also purged all the leftover bills for 2009. I paid them all off. I am starting 2010 with no bills. YAY! That is the best thing I could have done. I have been struggling with paying everything all year!
My next task is to get my crafting room organized once and for all, so I can get all my planned projects underway...maybe even finish some in the new year!
Happy New Year to you and your family!

Flea said...

I do clothing purges about every six months. It helps to have kids who are constantly outgrowing things. But right now I have the opposite problem - bringing home things from my grandmother's. Stuff, stuff and more stuff. Much of it quite beautiful and valuable. *sigh*