Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Planes, Automobiles... and a Dog.

I left San Diego early Saturday morning. Because Mr. Macchiato had been in Ohio all week, I left before he got home, and I'd been to Seattle the week before we kept my trip short. I left to catch my flight in Denver at 3:30 am in the morning on Thursday... during the worst part of the storm that hit here. I have never driven in such scary weather before! There were parts of the road that were completely snow packed and I felt like I was driving by braille as my tires would hit those bumps they put on the sides to let you know you are about to leave the road.

After over 3 hours drive (which normally takes one and a half) my flight was cancelled as I was standing there checking in. I was then booked on a flight for 1 pm. I've often looked at those people sleeping on the floor in airports and wondered how they could do that. Now, I know. I was exhausted! I used my carry on luggage as a pillow, wrapped my purse straps around my arm and laid my coat over top of myself. You just get to where you don't care. That only lasted an hour though. The airport soon became very crowded and loud. I then went to a sit down restaurant and drank a vat of coffee and part of the spiciest breakfast burrito on the planet. I was breathing FIRE!!!

My 1 pm flight was then delayed an hour. Then... since there were only two runways open for the entire airport, we sat for an hour waiting for our plane to be de-iced.

I really wished I had been able to spend some time on the beach. My hotel was right across from it on a marina. There just wasn't any time. One of the things I really miss living in Colorado is being near large bodies of water.


I slept most of the flight home. When I did wake up this is what I saw below. The contrast between San Diego and Colorado on the same day, within hours, is striking.




Both places are so beautiful in differing ways!




We were approaching the airport here and that is Pike's Peak off in the distance. I wouldn't be headed that way quite yet.





The Denver Metro area as we descended...






Instead of heading south and home... we headed west to Idaho Springs for Double Shot's Varsity football game.


I flew home from Seattle on October 18, the day my Grandma died, with Taffy. Mr. Macchiato brought her to the airport when he picked me up. She had missed me very much. I had decided I didn't want another dog after all. Benny was just going to have to be needy and neurotic. However, when we got to my Mom's house after we left the hospital I sat down in my Grandma's chair. I just wanted to be where she had sat every day for the last several years. Taffy walked into the dining room and looked over and saw me. She ran and jumped in my lap and then started nuzzling me. It occurred to me that my Grandma must have pet her many times sitting in that very chair.
a
I changed my mind.

Double Shot had a great game! He is taking a hand off here...

Here he is the long snapper...



Here he is in the air catching a pass. Unfortunately, he didn't make a touch down on that play as he was tackled before he could get there. The touch down was made by another kid the next play and he didn't have to go far!


Taffy was one of my Mom's breeders. She was born the day after Benny. They will be 3 years old in January. The first couple days were a bit stressful. She only weighs 9 lbs and Benny scared us around her. They love each other now and they are so fun to watch when they play. Taffy follows me everywhere. I think when we have those quiet moments where she's on my lap and I'm just petting her that I will always think of my Grandma.

8 comments:

MaBunny said...

wow Kelly, those pictures are gorgeous! I want to come to CO! never having been there and all...
anyway I know exactly what you mean, by a big dog and a small one - my MILs puppy ( a 9 lb rat terrier) and Korie ( the 40 lb lumox.) are the best of friends... they will run all over our house playing! and what a sweet way to remember your Grandmother!

jojo said...

well, she is just a little cutie! And attached to so many wonderful memories of your Grandma...no wonder you couldn't resist. Beautiful pics CB...glad you are home safely.

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

What a cute dog!!!!! I continue to lift you up and am praying for you as you recover and grieve. Such cool pix of your son. How fun to see him in action like that and how great that he almost made a touchdown. Very fun!

Melody said...

Taffy is adorable! Animals are wonderful helps when you just need to be still. Somehow they just know.

Karen Deborah said...

so precious you have your grandmas dog!!! And that she picked you for her new mom!!! Oh I love this I could just cry!

ElphabaWickedGal said...

lol, you should have driven around your neighborhood that Thursday! I forgot the key to your house and mom had to bring it to me. On her way back home, she ran right through one of the stopsigns. I did the same thing the next day.

Chris H said...

I'm glad you took the dog. Lovely photos.

Flea said...

Taffy sounds perfect for both you and Benny. Maybe now he won't be so neurotic. Poor boy. Enjoy your new lap baby.