Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Weather Outside is Frightful...

And it is much too early for me to be saying that! YIKES!!! We've got the wind really blowing and periods of rain and/or snow. Right now it happens to be a light rain. I am chilled to the bone! I started a new bible study this morning and the host had a fire going in the fireplace when I got there. It definitely did not feel like September!

Now that "fall" is in full swing for me, I am getting ready to sit down with my calendar and my scheduling kit. One of the mistakes I've made in the past when attempting to schedule myself is making the schedule before really understanding what my time commitments really entail. That leads to frustration and can also lead to dumping the schedule all together. The fact is, a schedule is something that really needs to have built in flexibility and needs to be re-evaluated and changed often. Because I have had times in my life where I have successfully followed a schedule, and fully understand the benefits, I am drawn back to that. It is something you really have to work at though.

My house is a wreck. I need to get on a schedule so that I can do the things I want to do without neglecting the things I need to do. I recently rediscovered my local library and can easily get lost between the pages of books to the detriment of my family...

Long ago I heard, read or saw a demonstration where a person had rocks of differing sizes. The rocks represented projects or responsibilities that required different amounts of time. Sand represented the everyday stuff like cleaning, cooking and laundry. When all the sand was put into the jar first the rocks didn't all fit. When the rocks were put in the jar first the sand fell around the rocks and everything was able to fit into the jar. It was a good picture for me to illustrate how it is easy to let all those little responsibilities crowd out the time for other things.

It is time for me to get back on track.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Interesting way to demonstrate multi-tasking.

Karen Deborah said...

Good do it. You will be more content. If i may suggest, turning your TV off can change you life. Try it for a period of time like a month. Then have your family evaluate if they really want it back on. We are so busy now I can't imagine when we ever had time before.
All of us have things to do and the evening are perfect for reading and writing. I hope you will be flexible, and also productive, it just makes life so good.

Coffee Bean said...

Hi Karen! I watch very little television. Until two years ago we only had our tv connected during football season. Even when our girls were babies we often had our tv put up in a box. The kids didn't even know about many shows until they were too old for them. LOL! Of course, my 19 year old likes to watch the Disney channel now and gets made terrible fun of by her friends. LOL!

noexcuses said...

I like your take on the rock, pebble, & sand demonstration. I think it's a great tool to remind us of what really are the important things in our lives.

I am totally with you on the schedule. I write EVERYTHING in pencil these days!

Nice post!

Rick said...

Hey Bean,

The wife and I will most likely be in the Springs on Oct. 13th. One time you mentioned something about getting together. What's the possibility of a lunch on that day?

Rick

Just Me said...

My life is chaos. I don't even know how to prepare a schedule, let alone follow one. Insult to injury is that my work doesn't follow a pattern either, so I spend half of my time trying to fit everything around my latest last-minute assignment.

Any advice, tip, or revelation you can throw my way would be appreciated.

MUD said...

Back in the day when I had to schedule my activities, I had a TO Do list that had everything on it. I tried to keep it in order of most important to least. I only scheduled those things that were important on the daily schedule and would work in the unimportant things between the big one's. I managed to keep my office working and most of the things got done. Only once did I ever have to defend it to my boss. I showed him the things on the To Do List, the things I scheduled and asked him when he was going to give me some of his time to acomplish more or give me additional resources. I even asked him for time to discuss this with his boss and he finally admitted,that he didn't have a clue what I was doing and only wanted to see. MUD