Monday, August 3, 2009

Striking a Balance

I've been thinking a lot about how I spend my time. I used to be one of those over scheduled and over committed individuals that kept a color coded calendar and was always making lists. I've come to realize that those multi-tasking abilities I had came from the need for them. Once the need was gone, those abilities faded. Almost like muscles that have atrophied.

I spend a lot of time on the computer, often too much time...

I go through this questioning of whether I should be blogging or not a lot. One of the books that has had a real impact on my life is, A Woman After God's Own Heart, by Elizabeth George. I first read it back in 1998. In it she asks the question about how you spend your time and pointed out that you can fill your time with good things... but is there something better and beyond that is there something that is best? It has stuck in my mind as good, better or best.

What I usually do when I am struggling with blogging is step away from it. I'm not going to do that this time. Over the next couple of days I am going to lay it all out for myself and re-set my priorities and goals. If you feel you are needing to strike a balance in your life too... maybe we can do this together!

Back in our homeschooling days I bought a scheduling kit called, Managers of Their Homes, by Steven and Teri Maxwell. This was an invaluable tool for me. I found that scheduling the kids school time by subject did not work well for us but that when we followed the schedule in other areas it made homeschooling much less stressful. Over the last ten years I have pulled this kit out every time I've needed to get back on track. This is the first time I'll be pulling it out just for me.

The first step is to start a list of chores categorized by whether they need to be done daily, weekly, monthly and infrequently. It is best to take a couple days to complete the list because you won't think of everything in one sitting. I've rushed this step before and ended up having to re-do my chart.

The second step is to prioritize. What are your short term and long term goals? What needs to be done each day and how long does it take? Include sleeping on the list. I've added up the hours doing this step before to find that I would need more than 24 hours to do it all. It will help you to be more realistic.

I do not complete the first step before moving on to the second because they both require some thought and they will change as you remember to add things.

Tomorrow I'll share the beginnings of my lists.

Make your Monday MaRvELoUs!!!

4 comments:

jojo said...

I look forward to doing this with you...it sounds like fun and something I sooo need right now...;p

Angela said...

I'm SO a list maker.....I have read Elizabeth's book also..so right on!

I LOVED this post, and look forward to reading more. Seems like God is speaking the exact same thing to me too sis...((hugs)) Let's journey together

noexcuses said...

Great post! I need to start a routine now so that it is in place when school starts in a few weeks.
May I join in?

Believing Woman said...

I am glad you're not stepping away this time. I've come and gone alot over the past 4 years of blogging. I have a new domain name now and look forward to staying awhile because I'm going to be teaching 10th grade girls and am excited to share what I learn to teach them. (((hugs))) Paula (formerly hislivingsacrifice)