Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Dizzy Blond Broad... That's Me Folks!

Seriously... I'm having a bad attack of vertigo. Not my idea of a good time, let me tell ya!

I've been working on my lists. There will be no way to fit in everything I would like to do. Writing it all out helps with the prioritization process. I always start with the Managers of Their Homes scheduling kit because I am very familiar with it and it helps me to organize my thoughts. I will be bringing other things into it later that I use to tweak the system to better suit my needs.



I have to wonder at myself sometimes. I know what I need to do and how to do it. I know and have helped others that really do not know how to get organized. Why do I step away from it and allow things to get out of control?

I know part of the problem is that I'm an all or nothing perfectionist. If I can't have things exactly how I want them I will ignore them. That is why all my pictures and photo albums are such a mess. I just throw them all into a closet and shut the doors.

And the filing. Oh Good Lord. We have everything from the past 20 years. The last time I went through and filed everything was probably three years ago. We have gathered these piles that I have just placed into boxes as is. When we have to find something it is a nightmare.

I think of those things as my dirty little secrets. I recently moved all the pictures into Frappy's old bedroom. I set up two 6 ft. tables so that I could start organizing them. It is such a mess that I had to shut the door. Do you ever look at something and get so overwhelmed that you end up on the couch with a cup of coffee staring out of the window? I hate that feeling of being vapor locked.

My camera just quit yesterday when I was hiking. I have no idea what happened to it and it quit with the lens open. Interestingly, I was cleaning out a closet the other week and found the digital camera my mother-in-law gave us back in 2003. Mr. Macchiato was handing it to me at Chai Tea's Sweet 16 Party while it was still attached to his wrist and when he pulled his hand back it was yanked out of my hand and fell on the floor open. The lens would not open and close properly after that. I decided to play around with it a bit... and guess what? It works now. All that to say that I'm going to post some pictures in my next post.

Last year I posted this on my then dirty little secret, the storage area of the basement. Then there was this update on that project. I scrolled through my Drudgery posts and did not see where I posted a picture of when I was done. Maybe I never finished it completely??? It did get out of hand again and I recently cleaned it out to get it ready for the stuff we were taking out of storage. The stuff that is still sitting in my garage. Oy!

So, tell me, those of you who are joining in, where are you at in this process?

10 comments:

Melody said...

Emotionally still sitting on the couch staring out the window. My boy's wedding just about did me in! I'm still trying to sort out the mess called my house after negecting the poor thing for a month during the whirlwind preparations!

Just Me said...

Sipping coffee here and still fuming over a night of lost sleep. Why was it lost, you ask?

Precious Daughter is an extra in the school's summer stock play. She informed me after practice last night that tonight's dress rehearsal was pushed to 2:00 p.m. instead of 6:00 p.m., thereby depriving me of four desperately-needed hours to get her costume finished.

I worked like a dog all night long, took a 2-hour nap until the kids got up, and finished the costume with enough time left to shower.

We arrive only two minutes late, and NOBODY'S THERE.

Because dress rehearsal is at 6:00 p.m.

GRRRRRRR!

Karen Deborah said...

you don't want to know.

jojo said...

still sitting here wondering why, what to do next, how did I get here...you know, the usual.

Sandi McBride said...

I am of the old "take it one room at a time" and hope for the best! Lists have never been my thing!! I'm praying for you!
hugs
Sandi

claudia said...

I didn't officially join in, but in my mind I was thinking that is such a great idea! Until of course I think about putting that great idea of yours into action.
I did get some more work done on my craft room, but that caused a major problem. What I got done was, I found a perfect chair for me to sit in and get hand work done. (crocheting, knitting, hand sewing, etc.) The chair is beautiful and it came with a ottoman for $45! The problem is, that it is so damned comfortable, that I have done about three rows of crocheting and an equal amount of hours napping in it! I need to make lists, and then break them down into little bits of things to do and then remember where I put the list or make it a big one as in measurement-wise and post it where I will run into it daily to remind myself that I have a list of things to do.
At any rate...thanks for starting this seed, that I hope will grow. I'll have to start this on my next weekend though. My work week exhausts me.

claudia said...

OH! BTW...nice handwriting! Really, it is beautiful!

noexcuses said...

Kudos to you! You got the list done! I know exactly what you mean when you say "overwhelmed" and "sit on the couch with a cup of coffee!" It's a very common thing around here.

I did, however, get started on the basement with my youngest. I got through 10 years of Girl Scout junk, and only have to shred about half of it!

I seem to remember some Christmas decs still out in last year's pic. I'm sure it's all tucked away now...isn't it!

Keep it going...you are doing great!

Angela said...

Will get back and let you know from a dizzy brunette broad what is going on here in the Canadian part of the world..lol

Angela said...

What I've done to simplify things around here and not get overwhelmed is I counted how many rooms I have in my home, than divided it by 6 (the 7th day I try not to do much, rest and enjoy the day,,but there are times I will work around the house because I have the energy to do so and I find enjoyment pitter pattering around the house and making it a home..when I get that 'feeling', I take advantage of it)..

I usually clean two rooms a day. I have a chore list and the days in which I clean those certain rooms.

It has helped me keep on top. I'll be honest also, there are days I don't get anything done, except write out what needs to get done. That's a start as far as I'm concerned...

As for all those projects..and I HAVE tons,,your place looks like mine girl with all those bins, scrapping material and pictures in envelopes still (some 7 years ago,,HELLO)...I try not to stress too much because when I do that,,I just procrastinate more...I keep reminding myself..'this too will get done, this too will get done'...

I've beaten myself up too much trying to get everything done..it's all or nothing mentality has made me do NOTHING!!

I'm enjoying these 'series' of posts girl...