Monday, June 1, 2009

Oh, Lu Lu...

We are afraid Lu Lu's time is drawing near. Actually, we've felt that way for the last several months. We decided to let nature take its course with her. She's had problems with incontinence but that comes and goes. She's also had problems with dry heaving nearly every day... but she's continued to act like herself the rest of the time. She's actually been throwing up every day for over a week now. On Saturday morning she had peed in her crate and just laid in it. As soon as she got out the backdoor, she peed right on the deck. She has never done that before. Then when she was eating she was dripping. We decided I should stay home rather than go with Mr. Macchiato and Double Shot up to Frappy's college to get her moved into an apartment. That afternoon she crawled up under the deck and it took me a long time to lure her out. It was very stressful, especially since Paco had died just the day before.

Yesterday Lu Lu seemed much better than she did on Saturday. She was smiling and running up to us to be pet. I have noticed that when I let the dogs outside she is taking longer and longer to come back to the door. She did not eat last night... and she did not eat again this morning. She will still eat treats though.

We've been expecting this... even so, it is still very hard. The thought of losing two pets within a short amount of time... ugh. Dogs do not always show when they are in pain. It is really hard for us to know when we should have her put down. I can't see doing it when she still is playful at times. I don't know what to do. I'm sick about it.

12 comments:

Two Dogs said...

Good dog.

MaBunny said...

yes, it is very difficult to lose a pet - especially two within a short time. My prayers for LuLu and all her humans. She will let you know when its time.

claudia said...

I have been trying to prepare myself for the time when I have to take my big dog to the vet for such a thing. He has been showing signs on and off for a year now. Everytime I think that "this is it" he improves and starts being his old self.
I'm with you on this. It's hard. I know how you are feeling! Hang in there!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

hugs and a scratch behind the ears...

Natalie said...

Big hug for you!

Roland Hulme said...

Oh, you poor thing... It's so sad when dogs go from young and spritely to old and feeble. It happened to all my mother's dogs. She had one - Harry - who went blind, her teeth fell out... But she was still such a happy dog! She loved attention and her tail wagged!

My thoughts are with you. This is so unfair, to have to deal with both of these things at once.

hanagrace said...

I'll pray that God is there with you and comforts you because I really don't even know what to say. :-( I'm sad for you!!!

Kathy said...

There are certain things I have clients think about when deciding when it is time. Quality of life is so very important. What brings her pleasure in life? Please remember that dogs don't cry or whine in pain for the most part, unless it is severe acute pain such as a fracture, and sometimes not even then. Often the pet is ready before the owners are ready to let go. I wish I could give you a big ol' hug.

Flea said...

I'm so sorry, CB. This is the worst, having two go so close. (((HUGS)))

Karen Deborah said...

Oh man, this is hard. I couldn't stand to let Rasmus suffer at all. Maybe I put him down to early but I didn't want him to be sick. All he had to look forward to was seizures and more cancer in his body. Dogs love us, they will do for us even when they are on their last legs.
I could not handle seeing the dry heaving every day. She sounds miserable. I hope this is over for her soon. It is very tough to lose a dog. I still cry easy and it's been a year and a half. I sometimes second guess my decision. But it was the right thing to do for my dog. After all he had given me I couldn't ask him to suffer for my sake. We each have to do this our own way, and its very very hard. big hug....I'm sorry this is happening to you and to your pets. dang, dad gum it.

jojo said...

So sorry CB. I'll be thinking of Lulu..I pray she is not in pain.

Chris H said...

Maybe you should ask your vet his/her opinion? You don't want your dog to suffer.