Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Update on Paco

I spent all morning on a Quaker parrot message board and learned a lot. I wish I had found the board years ago. The people on there have been so nice and supportive! He was not any worse than he was last night so I was trying to learn what I could and keeping my eye on him. Around noon we decided to go ahead and take him to the avian vet that was recommended last night at the animal hospital we took him to.

This vet was so good with Paco! She took a stool sample and ran blood tests. The results showed everything was within normal limits except for his muscle enzymes. The normal range of numbers is between 100-300. Paco's was over 2700. This means that he's under some muscle trauma and since he hasn't been injured it may be his heart. We left him overnight in an incubator of sorts. Even though his white count was in normal range, she was going to inject an antibiotic. She will call in the morning and I'll go get him.

We don't know what is going to happen. If it is his heart there is nothing they can do. So... we wait.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I hope he is back to his noisy self tomorrow. A friend's parrot stopped screeching and talking suddenly one day, he acted ill, we cultured his throat and he had a raging fungal infection. He was a monster to treat daily for an entire month but recovered quite well. I hope that it is not Paco's heart and all turns out well.

Angela said...

Thanks for the update sis..((hugs)) Glad everything did turn out ok physically. Sounds like you have an awesome vet...saying a prayer for Paco, and for your family. You can read between the lines the love that you have.

Flea said...

I'm so sorry I missed yesterday's post. Little birds are so fragile, but I'm guessing it's a good thing he's made it through two days. And that you found a good avian vet. Hugs, sweetie.

MaBunny said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I hope all turns out well with Paco, I love birds! will say a small prayer for Paco.

Junebug said...

Aw, Paco. We had a cockatiel that got sick when he was very young. It was so very hard to take care of a bird with a stuffy nose. We were surprised that he made it.

Trisha said...

So sorry. I hope the news is that it isn't his heart -just some weird "bug." Despite his terrorism, I know that your family loves him.

Melody said...

Good luck!

Gladys said...

My mother had one and he had gotten some type of food can't remember what it was that made his enzymes shoot way up. Here is hoping Paco is Beuno soon.

Oh and my mom's bird's name is Chico he lives with my sister now, with his brother Chaquito.