Friday, May 22, 2009

Paco, the Invalid

I brought Paco home yesterday. All the people at the vet were telling me what an absolute sweetie he is. WHAT?!?!? Paco??? Paco, the TERRORIST?!?!? Wow.

He has more energy than he did but, not much. I have antibiotics and calcium to give him every day and we'll just wait and see what happens. He is still not squawking. He does make tiny mumbling noises once in a great while. I've been spending a lot of time with him. He shakes... almost like he has Parkinsons. I don't think he's eating enough so I went to the store and bought some baby food and have been hand feeding him that. Interestingly, he shakes much less after I feed him. I can't believe how he's letting me handle him. I hold him on his back in the palm of my hand with his head between my finger and thumb when I give him the medication. I've feed him that way too, with a medicine dropper. I can put a blob of baby food on my finger and he'll eat it that way too. I bought him this fuzzy tent thing that he has been hanging out in. I'll have to take a picture and post it.

This is very stressful for me. I feel absolutely terrible about all the times I've joked about killing Paco. I also feel bad because Double Shot is gone all day and I don't pay much attention to him. We just didn't give it that much thought when we let him get the birds when he was 9. Parrots live a long time... Quakers can live 30+ years. Double Shot won't be able to take Paco with him to college. We didn't consider what it would be like for Paco when Double Shot went to school. We didn't work at developing a relationship with him because we just thought of him as being Double Shot's pet. Never in my life did I ever think I wanted a bird... Parrots are very smart and need a lot of interaction. If he makes it through this I am going to have to be more mindful of his needs and think of him as our pet too.

Today is my brother Buck's birthday. The big ole 39! He He!

14 comments:

Melody said...

Poor Paco. And don't be too hard on yourself! Pet birds drive me crazy too. I have to remind myself of that a bazzillion times when I think that they are sooo pretty and want to take one home from the pet store.

May Paco live long and grow strong enough to drive you crazy once again! =)

Gladys said...

Happy Birthday Buck. Oh and tell Paco that Chico and Chiquita said get well soon.

Isn't it great when you end up getting a pet without wanting one?

Flea said...

You and Paco are bonding! And he has SD! Sounds like he needs nourishment and attention. Parrots need socialization. You're doing a great job. Stop stressing and enjoy your time with him. I'll bet the other side of this sees a totally different relationship between the two of you. :)

hanagrace said...

Aw, man, I hope Paco gets better!!

MaBunny said...

Well Kelly, I am glad to hear he is doing a bit better. Birds are very loving pets. My hubby won't allow anything bigger than a cockatiel though, no matter how much i beg for a cockatoo or an african grey.
Hope you and Paco will get along better now that he realizes you are helping him.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

for the last few days i could not get your blog to show anything... finally it has and i am caught up... i hope paco gets better... mike is forever threatening to shoot the dog or cat but when he thinks i am not looking he is petting and talking to them LOl.
love n hugs i got more bradley sugars and sniffs for you today and just posted more pics.

Sandi McBride said...

I adore birds...I've always wanted a parrot. I hope that Paco will recover soon and transfer some of his devotion to you as caregiver...pets...it's never easy.
Sandi

Trisha said...

It seems like you and Paco might be making a connection now as you nurse him back to health. Maybe he is such a terror because he misses Double Shot during the day.

Just Me said...

Poor Paco! At least he reached that first big hurdle, coming home from the vet. Birds are so sensitive they often don't get that far when they're sick.

I'd love to have a parrot, but our house is too hectic. A parrot would be stressed and pulling out its feathers in no time.

Happy Birthday, Buck!!! I hope you're doing well and enjoy many more birthdays.

Chris H said...

Awwww poor Paco! I hope he recovers and continues to sqwark the house down!

Andy and Wendy Ingram said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your brother! I hope Paco is feeling better today! Thinking and praying for you this holiday weekend!

Roland Hulme said...

Oh! I hope Paco's feeling better soon. I've joked about strangling my parent's grumpy parrot (a cockatoo) but despite the biting and screaming, we love him really.

You realise that Paco will be inseparable from you when he's mended, don;'t you? You'll be able to walk around with him on your shoulder, like Coffee Bean the Pirate!

Kathy said...

Thanks for the update. I am so glad that Paco is being a cooperative patient. Don't be too hard on yourself, I always enjoyed reading your Paco stories, and nooo, I never once thought that you really truly deep down in the depths of your heart honestly wanted him to be gone.

Happy Birthday Buck!

Flea said...

How's Paco? I dreamed about him last night.