Friday, February 20, 2009

I Can Be A Blessing

I don't like public restrooms. Does anyone? I don't want to see, hear or smell whatever people are doing in there. I don't.

I also don't like people I don't know touching me. Shaking hands is fine. Seeing as I go to church, this is often problematic for me. I have certain places I like to sit in the sanctuary and I like to arrange our family so that I do not have to sit next to a stranger. They might brush my arm during the service or something. Truthfully, I'd prefer that the seats on either side of me were empty. Really. I like my space. The worst is when we are instructed to give people hugs. Uhhhh... why? I don't want my badonkadonks pressed up against anyone and I certainly don't want to feel theirs.

It is these very facts about myself that cause me to wonder...

Do you ever feel that God is using you? That He has set up divine appointments for you? That you have a purpose?

One time I walked into the restroom at a Perkins and there was an elderly lady that was quite distressed. She desperately needed to go potty but she could not unbutton her pants. I unbuttoned them for her and helped her pull her pants down. Don't worry, I left the wiping to her. I then helped pull her pants up, zipped and buttoned them. We didn't even exchange names.

Another time I was in an airport restroom and another elderly lady that was in a wheelchair needed help to the toilet. Thankfully, she had on elastic waist pants and could pull them up and down on her own. Once she was back in her chair I refilled her water bottles from the fountain just outside the doors.

Then there was the time someone was crying. I never did see her but I passed her toilet paper under the stall door along with some girlie stuff I bought from the machine. It was my impression that she was fairly young.

Actually, the passing of the toilet paper is a common thing.

Once in a Wal-mart restroom I held a lady's baby for her so she could go. He was darling.

I am a public toilet angel.

16 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

ohhhh you are sooo sweet I so could have used your company at cracker barrell the other day... I got in the stall used paper to pre wipe the seat just incase my skin should touch did my business only to realise the roll was empty... thankfully no one else was in the room so I peeped out saw a fresh roll on the counter grabbed it and took care of the rest... but I would have stood and cried until someone rescued me if need be... oh I hate public restrooms, but am eternally grateful they are there in times of need.

Bogart in P Towne said...

Wow...I have never run into a person in the bathroom like that.

Maybe it is because I am a hugger.

Christina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Deborah said...

You sound like a nurse to me. It's all good. I know what you mean about the whole public bathroom thing. I hat it when I am in there and find out that I have more than pee to take care of. I'm older now and don't always expect the unexpected which is why old ladies are always doin their bizness in those places. Thankfully, at my new job they have some single bathroom units, and I have found them all.

MaBunny said...

haha! I know what you mean. With my tummy probs I unfortunately have to use public bathrooms if the situation strikes...
One time I remember my daughter was a baby and my stomach was hurting something aweful... everyone was avoiding the one stall that had no door, well I didn't! i pulled her stroller in front of me piled high with bags and a blanket, but when another mother saw how bad I felt and embarrassed she took the blanket and held it up for me so shadow the show! I thanked her profusely!

Christina said...

I'm right there with you girl! I do not like touching people either. I do not like hugs from people... Handshakes? Ok... if I must. Even my extended family doesn't get much affection from me. I'm not a hugger. Funerals, weddings, family gatherings, etc give me the creeps because I know people will be hugging left & right afterwards. I'm sure those people in the restrooms were thankful for your presence and appreciate your helpfulness.

Trisha said...

You are a public restroom angel! Keep up the good work. If more people were as kind as you, the world would be a much better place!

Gladys said...

Public Restrooms scare me. Oh and as for random hugs sometimes it skeeves me out other times I think of it as a gift. Depends on who is doing the hugging.

Oh and Thank you for the TP. Yeah that was me asking if you can spare a square. I always seem to go in the stall without anything. Your sitting there and you realize there isn't any TP then you start looking for substitutes finally you do the hand under the partition wave. Yeah that's me.

jojo said...

awww CB you are so sweet...;) It almost makes we want to venture into a public restroom. Unfortunaley these days I would be the one crying to get the button un-done and my pants all wet...

Melody said...

This makes me want to pay more attention to others' needs. I just go in, get my duty done, and leave. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

hanagrace said...

Now I remember why I always check for TP before I sit down. :-) Wow, I don't think I've ever helped anyone with anything in a restroom unless it was my job (I was a caretaker before I was married).

Angela said...

Your the type of 'angel' I need when I sit down and AFTER realize there is no toilet paper..than I call out for help and everyone ignores me...lol...I can't stand it when people won't even slide over a few strips of toilet paper..reminds me of a Seinfeld episode,,LOL

noexcuses said...

I guess that's one of the purposes God has given you for this life.

I used to love to hug people, but I don't like touching anymore.

Thanks for the reminder to offer a hand to a stranger in need. I'm a firm believer that what goes around comes around.

Great post!

Alison said...

public toilet angel!! I love it. I guess every is here for a reason and now you know yours!!

Flea said...

You're just an angel in general, hon. :)

Hi!

Sheri said...

Oooh, I hate to have other people touch me! I'm very a "this is my space . . .stay out" kind of person. But, there are times where a simple touch or hand holding means so much. I remember taking a guy to the ER one night. He was teary eyed, and told me, "It's been 9 weeks, 4 days, and 14 hours since (my wife) left me. She took care of me for 40 years and I left her for 20 minutes." (She had died of a massive heart attack). Nothing I could do except hold his hand and ache with him on the way to the ED. Broke my heart.