Thursday, December 18, 2008

Going Along in my Automobile...

Yesterday was a beautiful day in Colorado!


I drove Little Miss Chai Tea up to Denver International Airport so she could fly away to Washington state to spend Christmas with my Mom and Step Dad. It will be the first Christmas we have not spent with Chai Tea since she was born...

Those little birdies do eventually fly.



It was a beautiful drive...




























Colorado really is a beautiful place to live...








Just Gorgeous!

It was nice to be able to have that quiet time driving.

I had another botox injection yesterday. We know that the Doctor got the 10 units into the right spot last month because they used the camera down the back of my throat and could see the needle. He injected another 10 units into the left side yesterday, again being certain of hitting the right spot. It was a difficult injection. I took this picture yesterday. Today my neck is bruised. Supposedly, botox resistence is rare and usually takes years to develop. We have seen some improvement in my voice over the last couple of injections but it is minimal and very short lived. My doctor said that we can try botox B next month but he wasn't real positive about it. It will be a last ditch effort. And for those who know how this goes... yes, it hasn't been 24 hours and it could still work. However, it has been my experience that I knew the injections worked the next morning when I woke up and I've had dozens of them.
a

Yet, another blow on the Spasmodic Dysphonia trail. My voice is not as bad as it gets right now but it is deteriorating. I don't know, I might get a little boost from this injection like I did the last. However... it is just a matter of time before it deteriorates down to the worst. I can't see continuing to pay to sound like I do. I can handle the low volume... but, the breaking up and losing of words I can't. It is embarrassing. It would be easier to just not talk at all.
a

Depressing post. I know. Looks like I'm going to have to learn some sign language that doesn't include my middle finger. I just made myself laugh so I am leaving that in. Nice Christian that I am... Sigh.

14 comments:

Gladys said...

Oh Honey, I'm sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how hard this is for you.

Yes it is difficult to let our chicks take wings and fly. I have had to let go alot over the last couple of years and it is not easy.

Now then you go take care of yourself and don't worry about that sign language it's the only one I know how to read :)

Laura ~Peach~ said...

oh what beautiful scenery!!!!! you do live in a beautiful place... a bit cold for my sweet southern blood.. OWIE that just looks SORE!!!!!!
I hope it helps and one day you dont have to go through this mess...HUGSSSSSSSSS
laura

Melody said...

Those pics are beautiful!!

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with the shots. I can't believe that mark on your neck! Ouch!

My daughter takes sign language in high school and loves it. It might open up a whole new world for you if you learned it. I do wish there would be something miraculous for you.

Angela said...

((hugs)) Ok, I'll be honest, when I read your post, I kept repeating out loud, 'flip the bird, flip the bird'. Not sure if american's know that saying but means, 'use the middle finger, use the middle finger'. Ya, I know, not very Christ like either. Wasn't depressing post, just made me sad for you. Even in your pain though, you made me giggle. I love you so much.

Flea said...

I dunno. I think the middle finger is probably all the sign you need for awhile. You'll be the cranky old lady on the block that all the kids are afraid of. Kewl. :)

Chris H said...

I am so sorry that the botox does not seem to work for your SD. That sucks. Fingers crossed the botox B might be better. The photos of the countryside are gorgeous!

Memaw's memories said...

I'm thinking my step-grandmother had Spasmodic Dysphonia. When she tried to talk, her voice was gravelly, and only about half of each word came out. It was like something tightened when she tried to talk.

Is it hereditary? I have an uncle that is her biological son who seems to have it a little bit.

Junebug said...

You'll find a way to improvise. Perhaps science will find a way too. I'm sorry.

Karen Deborah said...

oowwww that looks stinkin painful!!! you sounded pretty good while you were here. Just move back to MS and see if you get better.
Love the mountains it's a stinkin specatacular view you have luvy!! Hope you aren't too sad about CT flyin away.

Wendy said...

I am so sorry and can only imagine how frustrated you must feel with the lack of results from the botox treatments. I so appreciate your honesty and actually God knows what and how we are thinking and feeling anyway, we jusst as well admit it. I am going to keep praying for God to heal you and restore your voice and for Him to give you the patience, strength and endurance to deal daily with the SD. I am really looking forward to hooking up when I get back to Colorado after the holiday. We are headed to Nebraska tomorrow, which should even be colder and snowier than here - UGH! I can't relate to sending my kiddoes off, but since I have two going through puberty right now there are day when I wish I could do just that! Just kidding!

Sandi McBride said...

I'm so sorry that you're going through this...but I'm afraid if I had to talk with my hands I'd be lost without my middle finger. Nice Catholic girl that I am...Prayers for you from this end..He still hears me...
Merry Christmas!
Sandi

Just Me said...

I'm sorry. As Gladys already said, I can't imagine how difficult this is.

The pictures are lovely. Even though she isn't spending it with you, it's nice that Chai is spending Christmas with her grandmother. What a treat for them!

She knows you love her and things will mend over time.

Trisha said...

many other people have said, the fact that Botox isn't working for you is just a big suckaroonie!

I am so sorry - I know how frustrating SD is and how much hope you place on those injections. I wish I could just wave a magic wand and make your SD (and mine and everyone else's) go away.

Love you!

His Living Sacrifice said...

Ouch to the shot sight and lol to the middle finger! I will pray for you. It's hard to let our little birdies fly, sigh... (((hugs)))