Saturday, November 22, 2008

Double Shot and Poetry

A few weeks back Double Shot had to write a poem for one of his classes. Trust me, the boy was not happy about it. He put it off and put it off... and put it off. The night before it was due there was weeping and knashing of teeth. He did not want to do the assignment! Here is what he came up with.

Autumn Memories
Summer so sweet, but over nonetheless.
School back in, hard at work again.
A crisp Autumn breeze, changes in yellow, orange and red.
Time moves on as if summer never was,
But once a week, timeless memories.
a
Friday lights cut through the night,
Cleats click clack on the track
As we enter to thunderous applause.
My body tenses awaiting the whistle blow.
There it goes, it's game on!
a
The roar of the crowd is deafening
As helmets crash, this will be a fight.
I meet his hate filled glare,
Try and get by me if you dare,
But this is my Autumn memory,
Get your own some other day!
a
Only one of the great memories
Created on Autumn nights.
Though it was a fight,
we remain victorious.
Winter comes along,
But these Autumn nights will last.
a
Oh this boy... he brings me much laughter! Yup, the poetry of a football player! He got an A and the teacher read the poem aloud to the rest of the class. He. was. amazed.

3 comments:

Junebug said...

Tell him for me that was quite an awesome poem! I enjoyed it.

AmusedMomma said...

DS runs deeper than he likes folks to know. I don't think he's quite let his whole light shine, some he's keepin' hidden for the time being.

Great poem! Some folks work better under that kind of pressure... and that's very annoying to those of us who don't. ;-)

Elysa said...

Woo-hoo! He's come a L--O----N-----G way since the days that Jim was teaching him in Sunday School.