Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wednesday! Already?!?!

oooooh weeeeee!

With all that's been going on round these parts I am super behind on reading all y'all's blogs! Hopefully, I will get some time to get caught up over the next couple of days. My mind has been consumed by political stuff which has also sucked all the creativity from my brain!

I did want to tell y'all about my botox injection on October 15. The last injection was in December of 2007. After a year of no results I had decided to give up on them. However, I have had successful injections in the past and living with Spasmodic Dysphonia sucks. So, I broke down and decided to give it another go... with my same doctor. That came about after finding out that our insurance would not cover a trip to another doctor in Denver. And, if you are new to my blog and don't know what the heck I am talking about... I am talking about botox injections into the area surrounding my vocal chords to treat a vocal chord disorder I suffer from. And I am sure I have the prettiest, wrinkle free and youthful looking vocal chords around.

Well, I am, of course, my doctor's most difficult case to treat. Most SD patients receiving botox injections are given 0.5 to 2.5 units. It is not uncommon to hear of someone getting 5 units. I've been given up to 10 units. My doctor decided this time to numb both my neck and the area around my vocal chords. Normally, the looong needle is just jabbed into my neck while I have to remain completely still... and while everything within me wants nothing more than to get that needle OUT! I am a big girl... 5'11" and a fatty but, apparently, I have very tiny vocal chords. Smaller even than a small persons. The inside of my ears are the same. Oh, and I have wickedly pointy elbows that can easily be used as weapons. Just so you know.

Anyway, I got numbed up so my doctor could spend some more time rooting around in there with the needle without me crying or involuntarily shoving him back (which has happened in the past). And he did sure take his time! Even numbed up it is incredibly uncomfortable. He injected 7.5 units and I've actually had some improvement in my voice! When I was in Mississippi I was able to talk much more than usual. In fact, my Mama called me while I was there and later told me that I sounded better than I had in a long time!

I am going back on November 19th and my doctor is going to do another injection on the other side (they either give low doses into both sides or a higher dose on one side) using a camera. I am not looking forward to it but am hopeful that maybe we can get my voice closer to normal. The interesting thing about getting botox injections is that normally I have great difficulty speaking and my speech is very stilted... but I can yell. When I get a good result with the botox, my speech is much smoother and easier to understand... but I cannot yell at all. In either case, I do not have much volume to my voice.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that bit of good news.

3 comments:

Flea said...

I'm sure the kids are pleased that you can no longer yell. :) Congratulations on some success!

Jan said...

Oooh - that hurts -- but it helps. Isn't that the way of so many things? I pray good success with your latest 'shooting.'

MaBunny said...

WOw, sounds painful, but yay that you can sound a bit more normal:) not sure i could have those injections, although i did have acupuncture in my abdomen when trying to get pregnant...