Monday, August 18, 2008

Update on my Brother

They are having to heavily sedate him because he is combative when he comes to. They are doing another CT scan today to see how things are brainwise. He is not able to take deep breaths so there is a worry that he will develop pneumonia. His girlfriend is staying by his side at all times which has provided some comfort for my parents.

My father lives in the mountains between Sacramento and Reno. He works in Reno and had to go there today to hand in a proposal for a very big job he's bidding on. My stepmother was worried about him yesterday and the fact that he wasn't going to get any sleep and be doing all that driving. My father also had a CT scan on Friday because something showed up on his lung in an x-ray... so we've all got that in the back of our minds too.

It is very hard to be states away. My Mom and Buck are also having to deal with that. I may be going out there but right now we are all waiting to see what is going to happen. There's not much point in going right now because he is in the hospital... unless he takes a bad turn. I've got to get Frappy settled at college. It is during times like this that we really regret moving away from our families... although, Trevor and my Dad would still be in another state. I just hate being so far away! I just want to see him... to hold his hand... to tell him how much I love him. To see my niece and hug her... to be with my Dad. Instead I am doing laundry, running errands and getting our ducks in a row to leave on Wednesday.

A very bizarre little bit of trivia... Trevor's accident was 15 years to the day after my jet ski accident in which I broke my back.

When Trevor was 10 years old he was hit by a car. He was on a field trip and the bus pulled over to the right side of the road and had the kids cross the street to go to a donut shop on the other side of the road. The kids were still on the crosswalk when Trevor decided to join them. He left the bus and was running to catch up. He was in front of the bus when the light turned green and a guy behind another car changed lanes and sped up... hitting my brother. It was pretty bad. He had an avulsed eye (came out of the socket), broken collar bone, broken leg and I think his arm was broken too. He was in a wheelchair for awhile. But, he survived... he even walked and ran long before they said he would be able to.

17 comments:

claudia said...

My goodness! Take care of yourself, please! All this stress cannot be good for you. I am praying, we all are.
Just keep in the back of your mind that we are thinking good positive thoughts. And prayer, prayer is good.
I am so sorry that all this is going on...

Chris H said...

seems when you guys have an accident you do it rather dramatically! All the best with getting everything sorted and I hope Trevor starts to improve soon. {{{HUGS]]]

Sheri said...

Catching up on blog reading . . . I'll pray for you and yours!

I too know how hard it is to be away . . . Mom called, and they have Dad in the ER right now, something going on with his heart. They're in Texas, and I'm in VA. I hate this!

Melody said...

I'll be praying for your family, especially Trevor. I'm sorry that everything has to be happening for you at once. Take care.

Flea said...

Oh CB! I missed a lot this weekend. I'm so sorry! It sounds like your brother is a fighter, pretty tough. And like you're in a difficult spot, but doing the right thing for now by staying home.

I'll be praying for you, and will put an alert on my blog.

Two Dogs said...

Make lemonade.

Trisha said...

I am praying for Trevor and your entire family. It must be hard for his daughter - has she been allowed to see him yet?

Kathy said...

So sorry to read of this news. If you need a place to stay in california we have plenty of room. Honestly! Just let me know OK? What city is the hospital? If I remember correctly your Dad is in Grass Valley? Prayers for your family.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I have heard of hemaphroditres but I think the people I posted today are just MEN WITH MOOBS!!

Take care of yourself. I'll be keeping y'all in my prayers.

Hallie :)

Elysa said...

Glad to hear the update! I'm praying for y'all.

BTW, is soon-to-fly-the-nest daughter still doing her blog? If so, would you email me with the URL? I'd love to be able to keep up with her better once she's at college.

Love y'all,
Elysa

Just Me said...

Thank you for the update. I'm praying for Trevor and your dad too.

When it rains it pours, huh? All you can do is take things one at a time. It is comforting to know that his girlfriend is constantly with him. You'll get there soon enough.

My husband's nephew had some vicious head trauma during a practice several months back, and they also had to keep him sedated because of combativeness. In my book, that shows he's fighting all the way.

Oh, and today the nephew's only residual problem is tunnel vision. He has a consult with the neurologist to see if he can get his driver's license back.

Take care of yourself, keep a little time aside to talk with God, and remember to leave those things beyond your control to Him. There is no sense in running on a hamster worrywheel to nowhere. You'll drive yourself crazy.

Deborah said...

I'm just catching up on reading my blogs...I'm so sorry to hear about your brother! I'll be praying for him...and you.

noble pig said...

My heart is breaking right now...I hope all is well. I can't imagine what you are going through.

Tanya Brown said...

I'm over from Flea's blog - I'm so sorry to hear about all of this, and I'll be hoping for the best for you and your family.

thislittlepiggy said...

Prayers going up! HUGS

Brenda said...

Your brother sounds like a fighter. That will help him in this. Prayers going up.

Natalie said...

I want to read a post about you breaking your back in the jet ski accident. We recently started jet skiing again after not doing it for 15 years so my morbid curiosity is getting to me.