Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trevor is a Fighter!

Trevor is now aware he's been in an accident and communicating a little. He is still very agitated... in fact, he indicated he wanted to smoke... ugh... NO! He's still in ICU!!! (He's probably going through nicotine withdrawl. When he was here for the girls' graduation in May he and my Dad had to go outside constantly to smoke). His CT scan showed that there was less bleeding in his brain yesterday and some of the swelling is going down. I think his lungs are the main concern now. He's having a hard time breathing and generating a lot of fluid.

We know more about the accident now. He was driving a friend's Ford Explorer on a curvy road. He went through a fence, down and embankment, probably air bourne, through another fence and another embankment, air bourne again and then hit a tree at which point he was ejected from the vehicle. Apparently, the Explorer is in pieces. I don't know what that means... if the bumpers fell off, the hood or some doors or what. I heard that and thought of it all disassembled but I don't know how that would be possible.

My Dad says everything is fine with him. Hopefully he's telling the truth.

Frappy and I are going to have a long and busy day! We've got a lot to get together before leaving tomorrow morning for her college.

Thank you so much for all of your prayers and good thoughts. I am doing fine and not freaked out anymore. As my Dad likes to say, "It is what it is." I don't know that I will go out to California to see my brother... it might be a wiser choice to send the money we would spend for me to go out there because we can't do both... I don't know. I pretty much feel like I am on stand by and waiting to see.

I may or may not post over the next couple of days. We've got two days of a pretty full schedule so I may be exhausted when I get back to the hotel. I'm exhausted already just thinking about it.

11 comments:

Just Me said...

I'm so glad he's doing better. Every day he gains a little ground is good. I hope they'll soon be able to move him around a bit to combat the fluid buildup in his lungs.

Good luck with Frappy tomorrow!

Kathy said...

My heart goes out to you...
It will take time to get used to your nest being a little lighter. I bet Frappy will love college!
Good news about your brother. I appreciate the update. My offer stands- always.

MUD said...

I always struggle with wanting to say the nice thing and the right thing at the same time. I am sorry that he had the accident but also have a desire to be mad at him for not wearing a seat belt. Next time you are out, look at most of the pickups and notice that almost 100% of them go seatbeltless.
I had a niece hit by a drunk driver and because she was sitting in the middle and not belted in, she broke her neck on the mirror and died. I am mad at the drunk driver for causing the wreck but know that had she been belted in she like the driver of her vehicle probably would have lived. Damn, Damn, Damn.... MUD

Coffee Bean said...

Hey MUD,

I hear ya and understand where you are coming from. Trevor is 6'11" tall (I used to always say 6'10" but he corrected me when he was here in May after I remarked that he seemed taller than 6'10"). The seat belts don't really fit people that tall. I don't know if he had it on or not...but, most likely not.

Driving drunk is a criminal offense. Too bad those laws against driving while drunk really aren't enforced. Not only is it a failure on the part of the drunk... it is a failure of our judicial system. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your niece.

April said...

K - I haven't been reading blogs for a few days, so today is the first I have seen about what's going on with Trevor. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Praise God he is alive!

Mary said...

First of all, let me say how sorry I am about your brother's accident but glad that he is making progress.

I pray that God will give you wisdom for what is best. . go to CA or send the money.

And may things go smooth tomorrow for the trip, etc for your daughter. . and for you and Frappy too!

mary

claudia said...

Yes, it is what it is...but it is also scary. I am glad that Trevor is doing well, I pray that he will continue to do so.
I also pray that you get what you have to do in the next coupla days and get some rest after that. You're gonna need a vaction after all this!
Hang in there...I'm pulling for ya!

Trisha said...

I am so glad to hear that Trevor is starting to come around. I'll bet he is indeed goign through nicotine withdrawal but - if he can manage to keep from smoking the good news is he might be done with smoking for good!

I have been praying for him and you and for your family.

Good luck with the college trip - it is always exciting!

Chris H said...

Cars can and do 'fly to pieces' in accidents like that! I hope your brother continues to improve and realises just how lucky he is to be alive, cos by the sound of it, it's a miracle he's still alive at all! Good luck with the next few busy days mate.

Sue said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and your family, and wishing nothing but smooth days for you. Hang in there!

Karen Deborah said...

All the things you describe happen to brain trauma patients. Agitation is normal, combativeness is expected. Talk softly with him, don't play, don't ask him questions, he can't think right now. just simple things. Want some ice cream? Can i give you a back rub? Are you feeling ok today? Give his head time to heal. It's a big boo boo.

that girl looks just like ya'll, first you then frappy.