Friday, July 18, 2008

Christians Suck

My friend, Elysa , sent me the link to this article and I want to share it with y'all. It is the lead feature on the religion mega-site Beliefnet.com. Well over 2 million people access this site on a monthly basis and about 10 million receive newsletter content. It was written by Tom Davis, the author of Red Letters: Living a Faith that Bleeds and CEO of Children's HopeChest.

The article is actually titled, Why Christians S**k, on Beliefnet. It was funny to read through the article and see the middle letters starred out. I, however, don't have a problem with that word as evidenced by this post. When I went to check out Tom's blog I saw that he had the word spelled out on his. I don't know why that tickled me so, but it did.

While looking through the Children's Hope Chest web page I saw this. Elysa has Saint's Coffee on her side bar and she once held a contest where the prize was some of this coffee. I knew from back then that part of the proceeds went to Children's Hope Chest. But, to be honest, it didn't make it into my long term memory at the time. Check it out!

Here are some quotes from the article that I particularly liked. The whole article is worth reading, so be sure to do so.


When Christians care about their political views, what sexual preference someone has, or their bank account more than they care about the millions of people who die in the world because they don’t have five dollars to buy the medicine that would cure them, something has gone drastically wrong.

Christians, listen up: People are tired of being criticized, judged, and listening to the lip service we are so great at giving. Instead, why don’t we commit to making the changes we can make?

Christianity needs a renewal of the principles that made it great. It needs to be more like Jesus—compassionate, self-sacrificial, unconditionally loving, and caring for those who are most in need.

13 comments:

Lucy said...

EXCELLENT!!!!!! yea,yea.
LUCY

Roland Hulme said...

Hurrah! You truly are Righteous, Coffee Bean! If more Christians were like you, maybe I wouldn't have such a bug bear about religion!

jojo said...

Great article...I sometimes get the feeling that "Christian" is a dirty word...we need to do what we can to change that ;)

Brenda said...

I think maybe part of it is we have watered down the gospel in our churches in an attempt to please and draw in more people. It is becoming more of a "feel good" religion rather than an actual personal committment. If the Holy Spirit is not there we have no true growth demonstrating the fruits of the spirit. We become Pharisees. Just my 2 cents.

MUD said...

I am absolutely scared to death that many people organize their lives behind religion and in the case of the Allah crowd think it calls them to fight wars. It it is used to fight poverty and sickness, right on. It if turns into a holy war count me out. Been there, done that. MUD

Trisha said...

Okay - you scared me a little with your post title but the contents were right on.

Thank you for bringing this article to our attention!

I have been thinking about you and your voice. I wish I knew what was going on when it was easier for you to talk in Seattle than at home. It is probably the elevation and the "thickenss" of the air (maybe????). SD is such a bear of a thing to live with. So frustrating. I hate the fact that, even though my voice is better, I still have to work to talk at times. Talking should be natural - not work!

All I can say is "I feel your pain" and I understand. I wish I could make SD just go away but . . .

Two Dogs said...

One glaring ommission that I can find on the list and every list is to make the changes in the way that your government works that will allow you to do more and direct it to the purpose that you deem fit by your religiousity and beliefs. By refusing to do this, we allow more and more evil to creep into our daily lives. We support things by complacence that are directly contradictory to everything we are taught.

Currently, there is a forced compliance to support wholesale, ideology that conflicts directly with Biblical teachings. By doing this, we personally finance pride, gluttony, laziness, blah.....

We ignore this startling fact. Currently every single taxpayer in the US donates FIFTY percent of our labor to the poor. Do our beliefs teach us to promote the wicked at our own expense? The returning to the proper lifestyle doens't allow us to ignore the cancer in the living room.

April said...

I loved this article! There is so much negativity surrounding the word Christian. In order to change that we need to stop the judgment, increase the compassion and focus more on our own relationship with Christ. Thanks for sharing CB, you made my day!

One Salient Oversight said...

Christians should stop being upset that unbelievers actually act like unbelievers.

Moreover, Christians should start being upset that Christians act like unbelievers.

Flea said...

Have you read Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz? I highly recommend it. That and Phil Yancey's What's So Amazing About Grace?

Alison said...

I couldn't agree with those words more!!

Angela said...

"Christians, listen up: People are tired of being criticized, judged, and listening to the lip service we are so great at giving. Instead, why don’t we commit to making the changes we can make?"

amen amen amen

Tom Davis said...

Thanks for posting about the article I wrote. Love what everyone said. The truth is that I was trying to ruffle some feathers in hopes that people would really look at what Christianity is about. Caring for the poor, loving our neighbors, keeping our commitments and walking in truth. Your blog rocks!