Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Being Hot is Such a DRAG!

We are now in the 3-6 weeks a year where I wish we had air conditioning. We really don't need it. It really is a short time that it is hot here. There are places all over the world that are hotter... way hotter... with tons of people that have never even heard of air conditioning. I know I shouldn't complain. BUT I AM HOT!!!

Mr. Macchiato and my bedroom is the hottest room in the house. It is on the top floor with a huge window that faces west in which the sun beats every afternoon. Yes, I close the blinds. It doesn't matter. We have an evaporative cooler. It has to be in front of an open window which means it is on Mr. Macchiato's side of the bed. Mr. Macchiato is one of those that doesn't like fan noise, so he always wants to have it on low. And he's one of those that has to be under blankets. No matter how hot it is. Every single night we get into an argument over which speed the cooler should be on and his covers encroaching on my space. I, of course, want it on HIGH. We even go to such lengths as to try to change it when we think the other is asleep because medium speed isn't good enough for either of us.

Well, last night I'd had it. I'm the one that schlepps the 2 gallon bucket back and forth from the bathtub to fill that cooler every day. When he came up to bed I informed him that I was sleeping on his side of the bed. He wasn't liking that. I threatened physical violence, gave him the big don't mess with me stink eye, and I might have growled. I even filled 3 quart sized ziplock bags full of ice and placed them on different parts of my body... I'm not telling you which.. and then moved them around once my skin was numb. I tried to have one on my forehead but it was giving me a headache. I found out if I laid in on my hair that the coolness would travel down my hair to my scalp if it was close enough. So, that is what I did. Mr. Macchiato has decided I am a freak. I don't care. I slept in front of that cooler with it blasting on high all night long. If he so much as moved, I let him know he better not be moving toward the control on that cooler.

Sometimes... a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

14 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

if you put that ice inside of your wrist, that is a spot to warm or cool the body quickly... but you should always have some barrier other than a baggy between your skin and ice ... it can cause damage and thats not good... We of course woudl DIE without A/c here in the south ... heck most winters wqe have the A/c on at christmas cause it is still hot out.... anyway give the pack on the inner wrist and see how much quicker you cool off!
Hugs and put a thin wash cloth between the skin and bag ok :D
HUGSSSSSSSS
Laura

Flea said...

I'm assuming you have ceiling fans in every room of the house? I can't imagine living someplace where no A/C is needed. I was just happy to move to Tulsa where we could have the windows open in the fall and spring!

Never would have thought of the ice, though. :) You're a genius!

MUD said...

I love hot weather but also have central air and a fan. Couldn't live in Kansas with an evaporative cooler. We had one as a kid when it was dry for a couple of years but no more. Should have had some fun with those baggies full of ice. MUD

noble pig said...

Tonight...pillow and blanket in the freezer for an hour and then fall asleep happy.

Sheri said...

I feel your pain! Back in May before I got my window units in, I was roasting. I once took a 2 hour cold shower to try to cool off . . . and it wasn't the frisky kind of heated up! I had to fight the dog for the side of the bed the fan was blowing on! Ugh. Miserable. I agree with the towel/pillow etc. in the freezer idea. Mom used to keep a wet towel inside a ziplock bag that she would then freeze. As it warmed up the bag would keep it from getting you wet, but it felt SOOO good!

Two Dogs said...

All you have to do is gradually lower the husband's threshold for the heat. Then a mere two years down the road, the A/C gets installed. When Bean and I first started dating, she required 85 degree temperature all the time, now after three years, her threshold is down to 68 or even lower. Yay for my deception and covert activity! Dishonesty is your friend, embrace her.

Bean actually wore shorts in Afghanistan during the winter all the time and was comfortable while all of those around her complained about the weather simply because I am awesome and sneaky. <--textbook example of a run-on sentence

thislittlepiggy said...

No air conditioning? Gulp.

We have air, and I sleep with a small fan on my bedside table. I tend to be on the HOT side year round. :o)

Brenda said...

Night time would be the worst. I hope the 2 to 3 weeks is over soon! How about if you keep your underwear in the freezer like the commercial?!

claudia said...

Oh my! I think the heat makes you feisty! I know what you mean though. I can't stand the heat. That is why I stay here on the cool part of the California coast. I would move, but then it might get too hot where ever i go. Gimme fog anytimeofthe day or night!

Mabunny said...

Oh yea coffee girl , I KNOW what hot is. We live in an old house and even though we have A/C, it doens't cool below 80 in the daytime. Mostly we stay in the den. Chris and Nicole usually crash in there watching Tv. I sleep in our bed, but its also hotter in here. As long as my feet are cool, so am I and I have to at least have a sheet on me, but not blankets.
This past week the predicted highs have been 100-103, not including the heat index that kicks it up to around 105 or so.
Hope you survive!
and I like Noble pigs idea! try it, what could it hurt?

Trisha said...

I remember living in a house with no air conditioning when I was young in Ohio. Those few weeks when it was HOT were miserable. The ceiling fan would be on but it was almost impossible to sleep! Of course we didn't have evaporators either!

I say, get a window air conditioner for those few hot weeks and then sleep right in front of it.

Trisha said...

Stop by - I have something for you!

Roland Hulme said...

When you have to ice yourself down, perhaps it's time to reevaulate whether you 'need' an air conditioner or not!!

Karen Deborah said...

especially when it's hot!