Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Frappacino's Big Trip

Our little Frappy is going on a trip in July. Well, she's tall like her mama, so she ain't really that little! My father-in-law is taking her on a little Asian Tour. He has lived in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for about ten years now. We are pretty excited for her!

So... we got an e-mail from Grandpa yesterday...

Frappy,

I have exchanged emails with your Dad and it looks like everything is falling into place. This is going to be a Grand Adventure of the highest order. I have a few suggestions for you:

*Start a diary - you will want to write down all the details every day. You will very much enjoy reading it later.


*Bring along a pair of good tennis or running shoes - the ones with laces. They will prove very useful walking in this part of the world and it seems every tourist wants to climb up Ankor Wat ..... which can be a little harrowing. Also, tennis or running runs (with laces) are excellent for the long flights. The feet of most people will become swollen during the flight. I have seen people walking off airplanes carrying their slippers because they could not get them back on.

*Bring only light clothing. This is the tropics and it will be hot, hot, hot and then it will get hot. You will not need any sweaters or jackets. Tee shirts, shorts and sandals or the order of the day. We can get the sandals here.

*Pack your suitcase very light - maybe only half full. When you return the other half will be full of souvenirs or things you just could not resist.

*Bring along a small carry-on bag containing one good book you have been meaning to read and some snacks. Sorry but no carry on water allowed any more.

*Don't worry about a camera. We got lots of digitals out here and can burn some discs.

*Bring a sense of humor. You will need it.

*Bring a sense of adventure - you gonna see things, do things and eat things you never thought about.

*If you have time, go to the public library and get a recording machine so you can learn a few words of Malaysia Bahasa. It will help you communicate with the natives - especially those that still live in the trees. It is a good thing to be able to say "Hello", Good-Bye, How Are You, Thank You and a few other things like that. It is also essential to be able to scream in the local language " HELP - I'M BEING KIDNAPPED".

*Don't worry about trying to learn the Cambodian language. People with bleached skin can not "clack" enough to speak Cambodian. Besides I know how to communicate with them - the good old U.S. Dollar.

*Learn a bit about where you are going - what is the capital, how big is it, how many people live there, what do they eat & drink, how did they get that leg chopped off, what are the major cities and cultures.

*I don't think you need to bring any medical stuff unless there is something you take daily or weekly for an existing condition. There is not much you will need that we can't get here.

*We will need to know your blood type ..... just in case of some freak accident with a tiger.


See ya soon sweetheart.

Grandpa
The Ling Chai


So, I sent him the following:


Help I'm being kidnapped?!?!?! Thanks a lot!!! That'll keep me up nights while she's gone! Her blood type is B+.... Dang. Not nice. I've forwarded this on to the princess. She doesn't get up this early and I'll be gone before she rises. She got her passport back with the Cambodian visa yesterday. We are really excited for her. Thanks so much for taking her on this trip.

Love, Coffee Bean

And his reply was:

Heh heh heh ..... got to have a little fun in life. I was wondering if you would read the whole thing.

24 comments:

Mabunny said...

OMG I'm so happy for Frappacino. She will get to go on a trip that few her age could dream about!
I'm so excited for her. Make sure she gives you some of those pictures so you can show us !

Dawn@Embracing the Ordinary Life said...

That's some great information...for anywhere you go...I bet she's really going to love it.

RANGER said...

Don't you wish you could stow along in the luggage? What a lifetime experience for her.

And, thank you for posting a bit about those who linked to you. We gained more than we expected by having all these new places to go and visit.

Just Me said...

How exciting!!!!

("HELP I'M BEING KIDNAPPED!" Aaaagh!)

Junebug said...

Ah, he wondered if you would read it all? I mean, I read it all and you're her mother! Hee hee. I suppose that was a joke. I liked how he threw in there "how'd you get that leg cut off." What a humorous guy! She's going to have such fun with him.

Brenda said...

Wow! This is going to be the trip of a life time!

Trisha said...

Wow! I would love to trade places with her! I have never been to Asia!

Have you ever been there?

Why is your fil living there?

MUD said...

I spent a year in Vietnam and am not sure I would go to Cambodia in the summer. Rains all the damn time and the humidity is a killer. I would love to see the place, just think January/Feb would be a better time. For a kid it won't matter as they have never seen it before. I agree that you should put that visit on your bucket list and go when you can. If you can't speak the language what does it matter if you can't speak? Bonus. MUD

claudia said...

What a wonderful oppotunity for your daughter. I hope that email doesn't scare her off. It would certainly make me take pause! He did send some great advise. It wouldbe nice if we could all get that kind of travel advise. Not that I would ever venture out of my little world here. I don't travel much!
I bet she has a wonderful time with her grandpa. Best wishes to her for a great trip!

Kathy said...

This was absolutely wonderful. She will certainly have the time of her life with a Granddad like that. It seems like everyone in your family is gifted with a marvelous sense of humor! To repeat trisha's question... why is he living there?

Ecolo said...

Wow - that sounds like an awesome trip. I hope she has a great time.

Coffee Bean said...

My father-in-law is in charge of Southeast Asia area for his work. The company he works for insures factories against fire, flood, earthquakes, etc. I think he's been working for them for well over 30 years now. He is a fire protection engineer. He used to work all over the world.. Australia, New Zealand, South America, etc. I don't think he's done much work, if any in Europe or Africa.

Sheri said...

Wow! I am so envious of her. she is going to have a ***fantastic*** time! The advice he passed on? PRICELESS. I wish someone had told me that before I went to Africa, esp. the part about the diary and packing light. I've also traveled with taking a smaller suitcase packed with what I need PACKED inside a larger suitcase that I then filled with my "stuff" to bring home.

Karen Deborah said...

WOW how stinkin cool is that? So you get your sense of humour from your Dad. I can also see how you would be drawn into home schooling with a family like yours. What an amazing adventure. I think Frappy should get a hat like Indiana Jones for the trip. Tell her, I said to forget about the boyfriend for awhile and just have fun. He'll be there when she gets home and absence makes the heart grow fonder. So fuggetttabout him for the trip and enjoy the very COOL granddad!! talk about a whoooo hoooo!

Elysa said...

How awesomely incredible for her! A truly life changing experience it will be ( a little Yoda-eese there).

And I second the diary. I didn't keep diaries when I went to Israel, Italy, or my first time to Africa and I've forgotten so much...even the names of people who were very dear and close to me then.

I forced myself to keep a diary when we went to Swaziland in January...even on those nights I was absolutely worn out. And I'm so thankful I did. Several times a week I pull it out to look up someone's name or a place, etc.

April said...

I am so jealous! I never thought I would want to go to Cambodia and then I watched something on the travel channel about it. It was beautiful and the people seemed so warm and friendly. What a great adventure for her!! And to experience this with her wise Grandpa. How wonderful!

noble pig said...

I am laughing and terrified for her all at the same time.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

WOW HOW EXCITING!!!! cAN i GO TOO? YOUR DAD IS TOO COOL!
love n hugs
Laura

Becky said...

All I could think of when I read this post is "why would she need to start a dairy."

I'm pretty sure you/he meant diary.

LOL

I'm a visual person and I'm so stuck on the visual image of Frappy milking cows on her dairy.

Sorry,
The Maid

Sue said...

You can't beat a Father in Law with a great sense of humor. I hope Frapp has an awesome trip, takes lots of pictures, and writes down every detail. They will be priceless to her later.

Mabunny said...

Hey K.J, go to my blog, I have a fun quiz on there:))

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

If you make money off WIENER glasses, I want my cut!!

No fair profiting off my blog grossiness without sharing!!

Hallie

Flea said...

Too hilarious! She's going to have the time of her LIFE! I'm so jealous. Would Crocs work just as well as the lace ups on the plane, being so roomy, yet letting the foot breathe?

thislittlepiggy said...

BWAHAHA! Sorry. Couldn't help myself.