Sunday, May 4, 2008

What If?



One of my readers this week said that she doesn't believe and that she's lost friends over that issue after reading this post. That just breaks my heart. So many in my own family do not believe, but I still love them. I received a newsletter in the mail this week that had an article in it about tolerance and the gist of it was that Christians have become too tolerant. What is happening? Our forefathers here in the United States set up our constitution so that there would be freedom here and it was based on Christian principles found in the Bible. I don't want to get into a debate here on my blog. I'm not a theologian. I am not an expert on anything. I am just a wife and a mom... a daughter, sister and friend... who happens to believe that Jesus is the messiah foretold of in the Old Testament. It doesn't matter to me where you are in your life or what you believe because you are welcome here. I just want to be upfront with where I stand.

I first heard this song at a Women of Faith conference. Nicole Nordeman was sitting at her piano and she said she wrote it for a dear college friend of her husband's. They love him very much and he doesn't believe. I loved that she wrote this song for him and it really touched my heart. It just asks the question, "What If?" It doesn't draw a line in the sand and demand. It doesn't have an expectation that the song will just change everything. It is just a question. That is how I see it any way.

Being a believer in Christ... I would love for all to come to believe as well. You know if you have read some of my past posts that I do not have all the answers and that I struggle with things. What goes on in the hearts of others is not for me to say. Wherever you are at, whatever you believe, you are welcome here and I really mean that.

9 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i agree completely!

RANGER said...

Our visiting pastor's sermon this morning was taken from Psalms, Chapter 1, which rather carefully defines the result of listening to God or listening to the persuasions of the world.

The visiting pastor said that our country seems to be inching away from Judeo/Christian truth and morality as defined in the Bible. Do you agree?

I do. Sometimes, you just have to take a stand - accept truth for what it is. This does not mean to be exclusionary. This asks us all to take part. All are welcome ...

Chris H said...

Tolerance of everyones 'beliefs', be they the same as yours or not.. that is the important thing in life. Tolerance, caring, trust, love... the list goes on... we can all be these things and still have our own views on religion. You are a lovely person Kelly.

Coffee Bean said...

Dear Ranger,

I believe that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life and that there is no other way by which we are saved. This is very offensive to many people. God has given us a free will to respond to him or not. I don't like it when some Christians put some sort of time limit on others as to how much time they are going to "put up" with them not answering God's call or changing their lives to look like what they think others lives should look. I guess I should've been more clear about what kind of tolerance I was speaking of. The article I had read was basically kind of along the lines of shaking the dust of your feet if people don't change. Does that make anything more clear? Oh, and our country is not inching away... it has stepped away! Yikes!

MUD said...

What if You're is the right contraction and "your right" is wrong? What if you're right?
What if your spelling is incorrect?
What if you make a video and dis spell any idea that you can spell. Someone is not smarter than a fifth grader. I won't touch the message, only the choice of your, you're. MUD

RANGER said...

Mud, I love it. Your wrong is another unless you're indicating ownership of that wrong. Is it your right to say you're right, if you're not?

Is your wrong a wrong that belongs to you alone? Your wrong's just wrong, right?

Coffee Bean said...

Mud and Ranger,

I did notice that and it bugged me. I decided to overlook it. I thought about saying something in the post about it... but, obviously decided not to. Y'all crack me up and you a quite clever Ranger!

Coffee Bean said...

Oh my gosh! I am totally cracking up. I really should proof read what I write in comments more carefully! I could have deleted it and re-wrote it but... I'm leaving it because I thought it was funny and it shows what an idiot I am. Soooo... what I meant was...

Ranger you're (as in you are) quite clever.

RANGER said...

Coffee Bean, you and I could be marching in lockstep. Language fox paws crack me up, sometimes to the point of embarrassment: mine and anyone else's.

Plus your answer to my post about our visiting pastor's message said all I was trying to say, and more.