Sunday, April 27, 2008

Do You Doubt?

Do you ever have doubts? About God, I mean. Do you ever look at the world around you and wonder where God is? I do. No matter how many years I've been a Christian... I still, at times, struggle with doubt. There is just so much that I don't understand. I used to worry that that made me a bad Christian.

The Prophet Habakkuk struggled with doubt. He was deeply worried about the threatening international situation of his day, Judah's spiritual decline and his own faltering faith. Why was God inactive? Why doesn't He do something? Habakkuk waited on the LORD and changed his question from "Why does God allow it?" to "Who is this God who will sustain me in the things He allows?"

Have you ever heard the term "Entitlement Mentality?" We've often used it in regard to some social programs and the attitudes of many teens today. Although I don't like to think of myself as judgmental, I often times am. I've often wondered just why certain people seem to believe they are owed things. Of course, I never saw myself as being part of that group. But... I am. I had my "ducks in a row." I was following a prescription, or recipe, for what I thought would produce a "good life." We are "good people." We go to church every Sunday. We serve others. We homeschooled our children. How much of my faith was really about what I thought I would be getting out of it? Was I serving and worshipping God for selfish reasons?

These are hard questions that I've had to ask myself. I don't like the answers. Even now, with my eyes opened to my filthy self-righteousness, I shirk away from the full realization. All that I've done... All that I've sought to be... was really... for ME. Really looking in the mirror is painful. Do I really deserve a family without problems? Do I really deserve health? Do I really deserve a life free from financial worry? No.

I don't know where you are, but this is where I am. I believe God is who He says He is. Do I struggle with that? Yes. I don't have all of the answers, but I do have faith. And I am thankful because that faith definitely does not come from me.

Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls -
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.
Habakkuk 3:17-18

9 comments:

Flea said...

O don't think a family or life without problems is possible, unless you're an ostrich. Of course, I'm a phlegmatic, so I roll with life and stick my head in the sand. :)

Good questions and doubts. Once upon a time I thought I never doubted. Then I took Beth Moore's Believing God class. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for making me think today!

Brenda said...

I think as human's we make God too "human" in our heads so we can grasp Him. So when we see nothing happening in a situation we think He is doing nothing. We forget that He is totally God. Beyond our comprehension and can work in ways we cannot see.

Patsy Clairmont said...

Habakkuk isn't that a fun word to say out loud...for some reason it makes me chuckle. Anyway, chuckles aside, this is one of my favorite passages.

Rejoicing can be strictly a choice and not a feeling. The mysterious parts of God, while it keeps us wondering, houses His holiness and His eternal purposes. We will always scratch our heads at His ways-- may we also remember to take joy in what we do know about the God of our salvation.

thislittlepiggy said...

Feeling a bit like Habakkuk myself.

RANGER said...

To stretch a metaphor: I believe that a daily talk with God (prayer) is the rudder that steers a Christian journey. The Bible provides the sails that move it forward and the Lord's will is the wind.

Isn't it a relief to turn problems over to Him? If only I could resist the temptation to shoulder them again, during the day ...

Brenda said...

Holey Cow. Patsy Clairmont reads your blog!

Debra W said...

Hey CB,

There are always times in life when we question God. I think that He set it up that way, otherwise He would have given us all of the answers.

You are grappling with some issues that great thinkers have been mystified by for ages. This is a good thing, K, because it shows that you take these things very seriously. God gave us free-will and with that comes the ability to "doubt". It is healthy to contemplate these things even though we may not come up with conclusive answers.

I like the new photo of you! Your hair looks really cute!

Love and hugs,
Deb

OKGardners said...

I am SO HAPPY to see you back on here. I "lost" you when you quit "Laughing always helps..." So happy that things seem to be looking up for the entire family ... and that CRAZY bird, Paco.

Best wishes from
Betty in Oklahoma
blue.eagle@cox.net

Coffee Bean said...

Betty!!! I am SO GLAD you found me! Thank you for your sweet comment! You really made my day!